12/29/12

Happy 2013

A Time for Reflection


Sandstone Heart, Antelope Canyon.  Photo taken by Valonia Hardy

I often wonder how much of it is nearly a perceived reality, that of living in the “adult world,” but I find that time is measured differently as I get older.  My life is more confined by commitments, there are more boundaries imposed on my day-to-day existence, and as a result, true un-structured time seems to be at a premium.  The ensuing task oriented arrangement leads to a loss of simply being present, an act providing much enjoyment and fulfillment.

I began to realize this at the end of 2011 and desired to make a small lifestyle edit to enable me to recapture those essences.  One such revision was the simple act of reading.  Reading for pleasure seems to have escaped me since I was at university, burdened by the heavy science tomes that defined my studies.  Now free of those encumbrances I have somehow failed to pick the habit up again.  As a child I was a voracious reader – the beauty of truly free, unstructured time was a gateway for the exploration of curiosity.  Realizing this I assigned myself a very simple task for the year 2012, my first ever “New Year’s Resolution” as it were - to read at least one book per month for 12 months.  As 2013 approaches, I pause to reflect.

A byproduct of this exercise has been expanding my sphere of knowledge on a variety of subjects, some of which are directly linked to my daily life, but more importantly, it has taught me to slow down.  A seemingly simple act, that of reading, has facilitated the development of sustained periods of focus; an attribute much lacking in a world where our attention resembles more a braided river channel than a singularly flowing river.  There is no greater gift in life than time, and being free from (perceived?) tasks and simply observing its passage is a wondrous event.  I’ve only begun to realize this as the year comes to a close, that slowing down, getting rid of “to do lists,” canceling commitments that are not worth my energy, and generally allowing for more shapeless open time has been greatly beneficial. 

 Another year is destined to arise and fall; it is a subdued gift to simply observe its passage.  Find five minutes of unstructured time in your day to observe, to be aware.  Happy 2013 to all.


Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.

Definition List

Popular Posts

© 2011 Beyond the Wall, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena