8/22/12

The View from the Studio


The View from the Studio


My new workspace.  No cats allowed.

            The workspace, the studio, the shop.  Whatever you call it, you need one.  Setting aside a space for you to do your work as an artist is crucial for lack of distraction and an increased sense of focus/purpose.  I’ve struggled with a dedicated space to work as my “digital darkroom” sits upon a desk in the living room collecting mail, bills, and the clutter of daily life.  As a result, my photography has suffered.  I would still get out to shoot, but I was noticing that when I came home, the hard tedious part of bringing an image to life waned.  My creativity was stifled with the daily running of a household; clearing untidiness, removing cat hair from my keyboard and printer, and (worse) surfing the internet mindlessly. 
            What do to?  I decided to move my workspace to our guest room.  When I say, “guest-room” I mean a room that is occupied maybe once or twice a year when we have visitors.  What’s more is that this guest room has an unobstructed view out onto towering red sandstone and gently rolling hills (inspiration).  It’s also in the quietest part of the house, away from the kitchen, living room, and corridors of business.  The walls are bare and I can do what I want with them, I can close the door to keep the cats out, and I can sit quietly and listen to the wind, thunder (its monsoon season here on the reservation), or rain pound down upon the roof.  Mostly, I have carved out a small space separate from my daily task oriented life, and though it is still a new thing, I am finding it helps.
            I have friends who’re great photographers and I’ve always admired the spaces that they work in.  They’re all unique in their own way, reflecting the artistry of the resident, and serve as a source of inspiration in their own way.  Some are in cramped corners of a small room, others are completely disconnected from the house; but they all achieve the same thing.  Separation. 
            As an artist with a foot in two worlds it can, at times, be hard to straddle the line of professional self and creative self.  That is why carving out a detached space, whatever that be for you, is so important.  Make that space mirror your ambitions, fill it with pictures of people and things that inspire you (I just hung a large portrait of Ed Abbey above my computer and a poem titled “Advice from a River”, and am planning on doing more in the weeks to come).  Let it serve as a well for your creativity and passion.  Leave that space alone except when you doing something artistic.  I promise it will pay off. 
           
             
Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.

Definition List

Popular Posts

© 2011 Beyond the Wall, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena